Change of Academic Major

Students are encouraged to complete the career assessment available in the “Student Success Tools” portion of MyMTC and use their results to explore the Schools of Study and their various programs. Students who continue to remain uncertain about their program of study are encouraged to meet with their assigned Academic and Career Advisor. Additionally, students may set up an appointment with a counselor in Counseling and Career Services to discuss relevant program options or complete additional career assessments to determine the best program fit. A student who has not yet completed a term at MTC will update their major, or add an additional program, by submitting an Application Update Form to Admissions. A student who has achieved an MTC GPA will update their major, or add an additional program, by logging into MyMTC and submitting the “Add/Change a Major” form. Students are permitted to have a maximum number of two associate degrees as active majors.

Exceptions to the Change of Major Process

International students with an F-1 status should complete the Change of Major/Minor Form and meet with the International Student Admissions Coordinator. This advisor will check the student’s eligibility for the new major, review other pertinent information and discuss implications the requested change may have with relation to the student’s visa status. The International Student Admissions Coordinators will approve or disapprove the request and send it to Counseling Services to be archived. Approved requests will be changed in the college database and in the Student and Exchange Visitor Program database (SEVIS).

Nursing and Health Sciences (NHS) students who have their final interview eligibility waived by the program director, who meet the required NHS program admission criteria at the level required for interview eligibility, or who have an approved Interview Results Form submitted by the Health Sciences program coordinator of the program for which they are applying, will have their change of major/minor automatically completed by the Admissions Coordinator for Health Sciences or Nursing and forwarded to the Student Records office.

A student seeking a specialized associate degree for their specified program should complete a contract with his/ her advisor. The advisor will forward the original copy of the contract to the Student Records office, where the student’s major will be officially changed.

Students should be aware that program changes may significantly affect educational and career goals, and credits earned under one major may not necessarily apply to the new major. The cumulative GPA will reflect all courses taken.

Students who are receiving benefits under a student assistance program (student financial aid, veteran’s benefits or Workforce Investment Opportunity Act [WIOA]) and international students should contact the appropriate office to determine how this change will affect them since these programs have specific guidelines and restrictions concerning changes of academic major.

Print This Page