The Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) is one of MTC’s TRIO Programs federally funded by the U.S. Department of Education that provides counseling and application assistance to any qualified participants who want to begin or continue pursuing higher education. Higher education can be a college, university, trade school program, or any other training after the completion of high school or the GED. The EOC staff is here to be your higher education advocates.
Participants in the EOC Program receive more than just help completing forms. Our experienced staff understands the obstacles students face when enrolling in college – financial, personal, and family – and we will help you create a personalized plan to work through those obstacles to attend school.
EOC is federally funded by the U.S. Department of Education to provide assistance at no cost to you, meaning all EOC services are 100% free.
Get help applying for the FAFSA
The Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) assists students and parents with completing the FAFSA.
Contact EOC at 803.822.3749 or email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
EOC is here to help you access educational and financial aid resources to become successful! Applying is easy as 1, 2, 3!
- 1. Eligibility
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- A resident of Fairfield or Lexington County.
- The individual is 19 years of age or older.
- Individuals not served by the Educational Talent Search Program.
- Has a desire to enroll in college or training program.
- Preference will be given to veterans, potential first-generation students, and individuals with limited income.
- 2. Apply
Complete an EOC Application online or in-person with a staff member.
- 3. Set Your Goals
- Get your GED or High School Diploma.
- Learn about financial aid.
- Enroll in certification programs.
- Apply for college.
- College admissions counseling
- College transfer assistance
- FAFSA assistance and counseling
- Financial decision making assistance
- GED referral assistance
- Homeless and foster youth educational assistance
- Scholarship Research
- Documents Required for EOC Services
- Picture ID
- Permanent Resident Card (if eligible non-citizen)
- Social Security Card
- Most recently filed 1040 tax return
- Parents’ most recently filed tax returns (dependent students only)
- Parental Income Verification Form (dependent student whose parents have no income documentation)
- Award letter, FAFSA confirmation page, or Student Aid Report (if completing the Loan Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note)
- Workshops and Events
Need help with your FAFSA? Contact EOC at 803.822.3749 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to schedule a one-on-one appointment.
EOC Virtual FAFSA Workshops Dates:
- October 1
- October 15
- November 12
- October 26
- October 28
- November 9
- October 6
- October 20
ADDITIONAL SERVICES OFFERED BY EOC:
- FAFSA Submissions and Corrections
- Student Loan Entrance Counseling Assistance
- Student Loan Default Assistance
- Master Promissory Note (MPN)
- College Tours and more...
- Outreach Sites
EOC provides services at a variety of agencies in Lexington and Fairfield counties. Site visits are coordinated with each organization for clients or attendees at particular locations. The outreach sites by county are:
Army Continuing Education Center
Lexington School District One Adult Education Center
Lexington School District Two Adult Education Center – West Columbia
Lexington School District Three Adult Education Center-Lifelong Learning Center - (office hours are also held at the MTC Batesburg-Leesville Campus)
Lexington School District Four Adult Education Center – Swansea
Richland/Lexington District Five Adult Education Center
Academy for Success
Lexington County Department of Social Services
SC Works Lexington Center
- Helpful Links
As part of our grant services, the EOC provides information on college admissions and financial literacy to students.
Adult and Continuing Education
Alfie B. Mincy
Linda T. Blair
Outreach Site Coordinator
Educational Opportunity Center
Midlands Technical College
P.O. Box 2408
Columbia, SC 29202
1260 Lexington Dr.
West Columbia, SC 29170
Lexington Hall, Room 170
316 South Beltline Boulevard
Columbia, SC 29205
Student Center, Room 227