Midlands Technical College provides assessment and proctoring services to all students, faculty, staff, the local community, educational institutions, and local businesses. Most assessments offered are computer-based, but some are still paper and pencil formatted. There are six convenient locations for many of our tests, and each testing center is equipped with the latest computer technology and monitoring systems.
After you apply to MTC, the Admissions Office will let you know what, if any, placement tests you need to take.
Office of Testing Services
MTC uses a variety of methods to place you in the best courses for your success. For some students, the college’s placement test will be the place to start. Other students may qualify to exempt all or part of the test.
Placement Test Scores Quick Guide
Although the college's placement test is not timed, most students who take the entire test will need about three and a half hours to complete the test.
You may qualify to exempt all or part of the MTC placement test if you meet certain criteria. Examples include qualifying SAT®/ACT® scores or high school GPA (for recent high school graduates), qualifying previous college credit, and certain advanced standing exams.
- Qualifications to Exempt the MTC Placement Test
If you can meet at least one of the following criteria, you may be able to exempt the MTC placement test.
- Earned College-Level Courses
You have completed college-level math and English courses from a regionally accredited institution with a grade of “C” or higher.
- Earned College Degree
You have graduated from a regionally accredited institution with an associate degree or higher.
- Advanced Standing Credit
You have earned credit in English and math on CLEP® and/or Advanced Placement® exams that are recognized by the college. Visit the Advanced Standing page for more information. This exemption may not apply to specific academic programs.
- Qualifying Standardized Test Scores (Within the Last Three Years)
SAT® Scores (On or after March 5, 2016)
EBRW Score: 480+
Math Score: 530+
Reasoning Through Language Arts: 165+
Mathematical Reasoning: 165+
English: 18+ and
- High School Grade Point Average (HS GPA) for Course Placement (Within the Last Three Years)
HS GPA 3.0+
ENG 101 or 160 (use program requirement)
HS GPA 2.75 – 2.99
ENG 101 + Studio (ENG 010)
Students requiring ENG 160 take ENG 100
HS GPA 2.25 – 2.74
HS GPA 3.0+ AND HS 4 MATH with 85+
MAT 110 or 122 (use program requirement)
- “HS GPA” is based on the S.C. Uniform Grading Scale or equivalent.
- High School Grade Point Average and 4 MATH cannot be used to place students above MAT 110 or 122.
- Next Generation ACCUPLACER® must be taken to place into a higher math course.
- If you qualify for an exemption in only math or English (not both), you will need to complete the placement test for the subject not exempted.
- The MTC Placement Test will be required to place above MAT 110.
- If you apply to MTC before graduating from high school, your placement will be based on your high school GPA at the end of your 11th grade year. Admissions will convert any un-weighted, non-S.C. Uniform Grading Scale GPAs to the equivalent S.C. Uniform Grading Scale GPA. Mid-year transcripts are automatically evaluated for all current high school seniors who submit an unofficial mid-year transcript.
- If you have graduated in the past three years and would like your final transcript evaluated please send it to the admissions office.
How are transcripts evaluated for multiple measures?
If you apply to MTC before graduating from high school, your placement will be based on your high school GPA at the end of your 11th grade year. Please ask your high school counselor to send your mid-year transcript to MTC Admissions to the attention of our Multiple Measures Coordinator. We will evaluate this transcript automatically.
FINAL HIGH SCHOOL TRANSCRIPTS
If you would like to have your final high school transcript evaluated for possible multiple measures placement exemptions, you must have your official transcript sent to the admissions office before your advisement appointment. Transcripts must be submitted to be evaluated by the first day of the start term for which you applied. Please send your official final high school transcript to the Admissions Office at Midlands Technical College, Admissions, PO Box 2408, Columbia, SC 29202; or turn them into one of our office locations at our Beltline or Airport campus.
Note: Admissions will convert any unweighted, non-S.C. Uniform Grading Scale GPAs to the equivalent S.C. Uniform Grading Scale GPA.
After you apply to MTC, the Admissions Office will let you know if you qualify to exempt any placement tests. Need more info? Contact Admissions at 803.790.7578 or email@example.com.
- Earned College-Level Courses
AP/IB Course Equivalency
Midlands Technical College has established policies and procedures that may allow students to enter certain curriculum programs with advanced standing. In many cases, credit may be awarded through transfer of credit from other post-secondary institutions, AP exams, challenge examinations, the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), military experience or prior experiential learning. New students applying for advanced standing should submit documentation to the Admissions Office by the application deadline so that credentials may be evaluated and credit awarded prior to advisement for the student’s first term. Applicability and time limitations on transfer course work will be determined by the appropriate program’s department chair or designee.
- International Baccalaureate Course Equivalency
Exam Title Score MTC Course
IB 0101 Biology HL 4 BIO 101 5 BIO 101 & BIO 102 IB 0111 Business & Management 4 MGT 101 IB 0121 Chemistry HL 4 CHM 110 5 CHM 111 IB 0131 Computer Science HL 4 CPT 170 IB 0141 Design Tech HL 4 GEN 001 IB 0151 Economics HL 4 ECO 210 5 ECO 210 & 211 IB 0161 English A1 HL 4 or 5 GEN 001 IB 0171 English A2 HL 4 or 5 ENG 101 IB 0181 Film HL 4 ART 105 IB 0191 French A1 HL 4 FLG 001 IB 0192 French A2 HL 4 FLG 001 IB 0211 French B HL 4 FLG 001 IB 0221 Geography HL 4 GEO 102 IB 0231 German A1 HL 4 FLG 001 IB 0241 German A2 HL 4 FLG 001 IB 0251 German B HL 4 FLG 001 IB 0261 History HL 4 HIS 001 IB 0271 Info. Tech. In
Global Society HL
4 CPT 104 IB 0281 Islamic History HL 4 HIS 001 IB 0291 Latin HL 4 FLG 001 IB 0301 Mathematics HL 4 MAT 110 5 MAT 110 & MAT 111 IB 0311 Music HL 4 MUS 105 IB 0321 Philosophy HL 4 PHI 101 IB 0331 Physics HL 4 PHY 201 5 PHY 201 & PHY 202 IB 0341 Psychology HL 4 PSY 201 IB 0351 Social & Cul. Anthro 4 ANT 101 IB 0361 Spanish A1 HL 4 FLG 001 IB 0371 Spanish A2 HL 4 FLG 001 IB 0381 Spanish B HL 4 FLG 001 IB 0391 Theatre HL 4 THE 101 IB 0411 Visual Arts HL 4 ART 101
Academic Honesty Policy
The staff of the Testing Services Center and Midlands Technical College is committed to academic honesty and excellence. Anyone caught participating in acts of cheating will be brought before the college's judicial/discipline process as well as reported to the instructor whose exam they are taking. All forms of academic dishonesty including, but not limited to, cheating on tests, plagiarism, collusion and falsification of information, will call for discipline. Cheating on tests is defined to include the following:
- Copying from another student's test.
- Using materials during a test not authorized by the person giving the test.
- Collaborating with any other person during a test without permission.
- Knowingly obtaining, using, buying, selling, transporting or soliciting in whole or in part the contents of any test.
- Bribing any other person to obtain tests or information about tests.
- Substituting for another student, or permitting any other person's work to substitute for yours.