AOT - Keyboarding
There are specific majors at Midlands Technical College that require students to take a basic keyboarding class to learn typing skills. Many students possess basic keyboarding skills and may be able to exempt the basic class by taking a keyboarding exam. The keyboarding examination is designed to test a student's typing skills through a series of timed writing exercises. This exam is available through the Student Assessment Testing Center and should be taken prior to advisement if required.
- Allow 30 minutes to complete this exam.
- Passing score is 25 WPM.
- If you cannot type, please notify the test administrator prior to taking the test.
(High School Courses/Exams)
As a high school student, AP coursework and exams can change your life. Through AP Exams, you have the opportunity to earn college credit for coursework taken in high school. You can obtain credit for exams with scores of three (3) or higher. You will receive exemption credit which indicates course completion.
If you graduated from high school without having taken AP courses and exams, you may want to consider CLEP as an option to earn Advanced Placement.
AP Exam Policy, Equivalency & Credits for:
Do you want to receive college credit for knowledge you already have? If you already have proficient knowledge of a subject, you can prove competency through the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) sponsored by the College Board. Whether you have mastered this material through prior course work, independent study or cultural pursuits, you may want to consider CLEP examinations. More information is available at the College Board website.
CLEP examinations are available in the CLEP CBT Test Center at the Airport Campus Student Assessment Center and at the National On-Base Test Center at Fort Jackson Center of Midlands Technical College. These sites are computerized CLEP Test Centers. Scores are available to test candidates upon completion of most tests and to institutions within 3 – 4 weeks. CLEP examinations are scheduled through online registration.
Students with Disabilities: If you wish to take a CLEP examination using an approved accommodation, please contact the Disabilities Resource Center. You may be approved to test under special conditions, e.g., extended testing time (up to three hours per test), use of a reader or transcriber, or use of large-print testing materials. Only students with documentation of a learning or physical disability are eligible for special CLEP arrangements.
Students are limited to no more than two examinations on any one-test date. A non-refundable registration fee is due the day of your test. Please follow the steps below to register for your exam(s).
- Create a CLEP account by going online. You will register and pay for your CLEP exam(s) through this account. Once you complete your registration, you will be given a ticket number and a voucher number that you should print out and bring with you on the day of the test.
- After receiving your CLEP ticket and voucher number, schedule to take your exam with the CLEP Test Center at Midlands Technical College by clicking here. You must create your CLEP account before registering with Midlands Technical College. After you complete the scheduling form for Midlands Technical College, you will be contacted by a Student Assessment staff in approximately 1-3 business days to confirm your appointment.
Through the DSSTs testing program, students have the opportunity to demonstrate knowledge and receive college credits for learning received outside of the traditional classroom. For the most recent information concerning each of the 37 examinations available visit the DSST website at www.getcollegecredit.com. DSST exams are now administered by computer at the Airport Campus and Fort Jackson Campus. Public Speaking, however, remains the only test not computerized. Scores are available to candidates within minutes of completion. Reports to designated institutions takes less than 4 weeks. Students with disabilities: If you have a disability, please contact the Disability Resource Center before you register regarding testing under special conditions, e. g., extended testing time (up to three hours per test), use of a reader or transcriber, or use of large-print testing materials. Only students with documentation of a learning or physical disability are eligible for special DSST arrangements.
The Student Assessment Center on the Airport Campus of Midlands Technical College administers DSST examinations to any applicant. To pre-register for a DSST exam, you may print and complete a pre-registration form using Adobe Acrobat. A pre-registration fee, payable to Midlands Technical College, is due at the time of pre-registration.
The remaining fee for the examination is due at the time of testing. DSST only accepts credit card payments for examinations. Fees cannot be cancelled once the test has begun. Official examinee score reports are given to them immediately after completion of the exams. DSST sends scores to the designated institution only.
Exams are given on the Airport Campus Student Assessment Center, located in the Student Center Building, Room 262, and the On-Base Test Center - Ft Jackson Campus, located in Bldg 4600, Room A-109. Pre-registration is required.
Cellular telephones, watches with alarms, pagers and other handheld computing devices are not permitted in the testing room. Non-programmable calculators, slide rules and other such materials may be allowed if permitted by the test provider.
Personal picture identification is required at the time of testing. Anyone who fails to present a picture ID will not be tested.
Students with disabilities: If you have a disability, please contact the Disability Resource Center before you register for a DSST exam regarding testing under special conditions, e. g., extended testing time (up to three hours per test), use of a reader or transcriber, or use of large-print testing materials. Only students with documentation of a learning or physical disability are eligible for special DSST arrangements.
Technical Advanced Placement (TAP) exams enable qualified high school and Midlands Technical College students to earn free course credit by demonstrating specific competencies on departmental exams. Students who do well can earn exemption credit toward their programs at Midlands Technical College. This will save them time and money!
TAP exams were initially designed as a special part of the Central Midlands Career Partnership articulation agreement with local area high schools. They have now been expanded to include opportunities for MTC students as well. They are not transferable to other colleges and universities. Only current and future MTC students should select this method of receiving exemption credit.
In order to make the exams more accessible, Midlands Technical College has significantly revised how we offer TAP exams. They are now offered in the MTC Student Assessment Centers on Beltline and Airport campuses during their regular working hours. Be sure to check out the new TAP procedures!
Any questions or comments about TAP, please send an email to email@example.com.
- Exams offered year round
- Exams offered days and evenings
- Exams offered on both Airport and Beltline campuses
TAP exams are administered in the Student Assessment Centers on Beltline and Airport campuses. They can be taken during daytime and evening by appointment only. Interested in taking an exam? Pre-register online then contact the Assessment Center at 803-738-7845 to schedule an appointment to take a TAP exam. Your TAP exam results will be e-mailed to you. You might even know how you did before you leave the exam!
- Identify the MTC exam you are prepared to exempt.
- Fill out the Registration form.
- Contact the Assessment Center at 803-738-7845 to schedule an appointment to take a TAP exam.
- Take the exam. (Check each Course Exemption Description under the Exams tab for any required materials. You will NOT be allowed to take the exam if you do not have the materials!)
- Enroll at Midlands Technical College. (Skip this step if you are currently enrolled.)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to have the credit added to your MTC transcript.
High School Personnel
- Advise students about high school courses that are appropriate for TAP exemption credit.
- Direct teachers, students, and parents to TAP exam information on the MTC web site.
- Serve as the liaison between your high school and the MTC Coordinator of Advanced Placement.
- Help students with pre-registration.
- Collect and maintain TAP Exam results for reporting purposes. Results will be mailed to each high school on a regular basis.
If you have any questions regarding testing services and scheduling.More Info