Academic and Career Advising
Academic and Career Advisors help students in academic programs evaluate their long-range career and educational goals to enroll in, progress through, and complete a program that fits their interests at Midlands Technical College. All students who are enrolled an academic program are assigned to an Academic and Career Advisor. You can find your advisor assignment in MyMTC and in Student Planning. Your assigned advisor is your go-to-person for degree planning, registration, and information about how to obtain resources needed to be successful. Students in Corporate and Continuing Education (CCE) training programs are advised by CCE program directors/faculty on program requirements.
After being accepted into Midlands Technical College, first-time freshmen, first-time transfers, and readmit students must meet with an Academic and Career Advisor in the Academic and Career Advising Center to review their program of study, discuss required courses, and view the proper sequence of courses. After the appointment, the Academic and Career Advisor will also provide web enablement to facilitate course registration.
Students will continue to work with an Academic and Career Advisor as they progress in their program of study. Additionally, your assigned Academic and Career Advisor may reach out to set up an appointment based on degree progress or feedback from faculty.
Following these tips will help you with your advising experience:
- Schedule your advising appointment early---you do not need to wait until registration opens to complete your advising appointment;
- Consider your personal, educational and career goals;
- Review your academic program requirements and your progress with those requirements in Student Planning, located in MyMTC;
- Consider how you will balance your work, college and personal life;
- Arrive early for advisement appointments; call or visit the appointment scheduling webpage in MyMTC if you need to reschedule;
- Discuss challenges of juggling work, studying and overall progress for your goals;
- Ask questions on any information or procedures that are unclear;
- Review placement test scores in MyMTC before meeting with your advisor;
- Ask about available support services; your Advisor can assist you with referrals;
- If you are planning to transfer, please contact the transfer institution to learn about program-specific details.
After your advising appointment, take action on any next steps identified with your Academic and Career Advisor. Register for courses promptly, and be sure to follow the course plan developed with your advisor when registering. If you need assistance with registration, please reach out to one of our Scheduling Navigators located in our advising centers or online in our Registration Assistance Zone.