Academic Catalog

Release of Student Information

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, prescribes the conditions under which information about students can be released. It is the policy of Midlands Technical College to follow those guidelines to protect the privacy of students. The following student rights are covered by the Act and afforded to all eligible students of the college:

  1. The right to inspect and review information in the student’s educational records.
  2. The right to request amendment of the contents of the student’s educational records if believed to be inaccurate, misleading or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy or other rights.
  3. The right to prevent disclosure without consent, with certain exceptions, of personally identifiable information from the student’s informational records.
  4. The right to secure a copy of the college’s policy.
  5. The right to file complaints with the US Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the college to comply with the provisions of the Act.

Each of these rights, with any limitations or exceptions, is explained in the college’s policy statement, which may be received from the Registrar’s Office.

The college may provide directory information in accordance with the provisions of the Act without written consent of an eligible student, unless that student requests in writing that such information not be disclosed. The following items are designated as directory information and may be released on any student for any purpose at the discretion of the college unless a written request for nondisclosure is on file: name, address, telephone listing, photograph and video, enrollment, dates of attendance, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of sports teams, the most recent previous institution attended, major field of study, and degrees and awards received.

Students who wish to request nondisclosure of the above items may complete a Nondisclosure Form available from the Student Records Office.

Print This Page