Delta Dental of South Carolina Awards $344,296 in Oral Health Grants
Feb 21, 2023
“The donation from Delta Dental will provide our clinic with a new, high-volume, autoclave to sterilize instruments, thus allowing our students to provide preventive dental care to patients of the communities we serve.” - Dr. Jessica Scott-Jeffries, Dental Hygiene Program Director
The Dental Benefits Provider Has Awarded $519,296 in Grants in 2022
From Delta Dental
COLUMBIA, SC. (Dec. 15, 2022) – To help meet the dental health needs of children and adults, Delta Dental of South Carolina – a leading dental benefits provider and non-profit organization – recently awarded $344,296 in oral health grant funding to nine organizations in support of oral health initiatives and educational programming in South Carolina. This funding completes the second cycle of the non-profit company’s annual mission giving efforts. During cycle one earlier this year, Delta Dental of South Carolina awarded $175,000 in grants to five organizations for a combined total of $519,296 in oral health grants for 2022.
“Many South Carolinians face challenges in getting dental care,” said Rob Goren, president and chief executive officer at Delta Dental at South Carolina. “By donating to a variety of organizations that align with our mission to improve oral health, we’re able to help children and adults in need get vital dental treatment and services to enhance their overall health and quality of life.”
The oral health grants most recently awarded in South Carolina include:
- Prisma Health – Midlands (Columbia) – received $95,796 to help the Department of Dentistry purchase equipment to better serve patients with special needs.
- Healthy Learners (Columbia) – received $50,000 to expand free dental care in 15 school districts to children in families with low incomes.
- United Way of the Midlands (Columbia) – received $50,000 to help provide free comprehensive dental care to children and adults who are uninsured or underinsured and living in poverty, as well as dental hygiene workshops for youth and caregivers.
- McLeod Health Foundation (Florence) – received $35,000 to purchase portable equipment to treat patients at two rural dental clinic sites.
- Midlands Technical College Foundation (Irmo) – received $26,500 to purchase dental clinic equipment for the Dental Hygiene and Expanded Duty Dental Assistant programs.
- Catholic Charities (Georgetown) – received $25,000 to provide no-cost, partial and full-set dentures for clients with low incomes and no dental insurance.
- Neighbors Together (North Charleston) – received $25,000 to provide dentures free of charge to those in need.
- Greenville Free Medical Clinic (Greenville) – received $22,000 to help provide free preventive and restorative dental services for patients who are uninsured and with low incomes in Greenville County.
- Anderson Five Educational Foundation (Anderson) – received $15,000 to help expand the oral health program and provide dental care and education for students in the Anderson School District Five.
Delta Dental of South Carolina will begin accepting applications for the first grant cycle of its 2023 Oral Health Grant Program in January. To be eligible for an oral health grant from Delta Dental of South Carolina, applicants in South Carolina must first complete a letter of inquiry through the online application system at www.deltadentalsc.com/AboutUs/oral-health-grant-program, which includes program guidelines and application instructions. Applicants must be considered tax-exempt under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or be a public or governmental entity, such as a public school or health department, and serve the people of South Carolina.
About Delta Dental of South Carolina
Delta Dental of South Carolina is a trade name of Delta Dental of Missouri, a dental benefits provider and a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization, which operates in South Carolina under that name. It provides more than 330,000 members in South Carolina with access to affordable, high-quality dental care through group plans tailored to meet the needs of organizations of all sizes, from large corporations to small businesses with two or more employees. Delta Dental also offers dental benefit plans directly to individuals and families. It also provides access to affordable, high-quality vision care through group vision benefit plans. The company proudly supports oral health initiatives, educational programs and charitable causes that help educate people about the importance of dental health and provide free dental care to those in need. It also created the South Carolina Dental Care Resource Guide to help individuals access information about low-cost and free dental care options in their area—available online at www.DeltaDentalSC.com/ResourceGuide1. To learn more about the company, visit www.DeltaDentalSC.com.