About the Program
Occupational Therapy’s purpose is to promote improvement of health and self-sufficiency. The field involves evaluating patients’ abilities and disabilities and establishing goals and methods of treatment. Treatment methods include light handicrafts, sports, vocational skills and training to overcome specific disabilities. Typical activities include helping a patient with a disability find activities that encourage growth and development, helping a patient with a neurological handicap overcome poor coordination and communication, or helping a senior citizen adjust to the special problems of aging and maintaining optimum physical function.
Midlands Technical College works cooperatively with Greenville Technical College (GTC) to offer the first year of the two-year GTC associate degree program. Students must make direct application to Greenville Technical College to complete their degree requirements. Completion of Phase I does not guarantee admission to Phase II.
General education courses for students in the Health Sciences and Nursing Pre-Programs Certificates are available for students in classrooms and laboratories on both the Airport and Beltline Campuses. Allied Health Science courses with a laboratory component are taught only on the Airport Campus in the Health Sciences Building and Lexington Hall. There are no required externships/internships for this program.
In addition to the college’s placement test and the admissions requirements of the Health Sciences department, specific admission criteria to the Pre-Occupational Therapy Assistant program include:
Acceptable admission criteria:
- TEAS V (September 2014-present): 60 percent total (reading 70 percent, mathematics 68 percent, science 47 percent) and MTC writing sample score of 30; or
- HOBET V (May 2012-September 2014): 60 percent total (reading 70 percent, mathematics 68 percent, science 47 percent) and MTC writing sample score of 30; or
- HOBET (May 2011-May 2012): 50 composite percent (minimum reading 50 percent mathematics 50 percent; algebra 50 percent) and MTC writing sample score of 30; or
- SAT 990 (minimum critical reading 475, minimum mathematics 515) and MTC writing sample score of 30; or
- ACT 19 (minimum verbal 18, mathematics 23) and MTC writing sample score of 30; or
- Successful completion of the Pre-Health Care Certificate with a 2.5 GPA and a “C” or higher in each course; or
- An Associate degree or higher.
Specific criteria for Phase II Admissions to Greenville Technical College OTA Program includes:
- Completion of Pre-OTA Certificate with a 2.5 GPA
- Attend a Career Talk Session for the OTA Program
- Attain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50 for all Phase I courses and have passed all Phase I courses with a minimum grade of “C” or higher on the first or second attempt
Admission to the first phase of the program at Midlands Technical College does not guarantee admission to the second phase at Greenville Technical College. Selection for admission for the limited positions held for Midlands Technical College students is based on weighted admission score ranking within the MTC cohort completing Phase I and meeting the Greenville Technical College application deadlines.
Interested students should review admission information for the OTA Program on the Greenville Technical College website.
Major Course Requirements Show