Earn real experience and a paycheck before graduating from high school.
The Midlands Youth Apprenticeship Program, a partnership with the Columbia Chamber, MTC, Apprenticeship Carolina, and participating Midlands school districts and employers, is a career-education pathway that helps build a viable, local workforce for high-demand, hard-to-fill positions. It provides high school juniors and seniors the opportunity to get paid to learn as youth apprentices. Youth apprentices receive paid on-the-job training along with job-related education at MTC. The MYA Program also provides businesses and organizations the unique chance to meet qualified high-school students from a variety of fields and backgrounds who are already achieving at a high-level.
For information on applying for MYA, please contact Spencer Griffin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 803.732.5337.
Prospective Students FAQ
Who can apply to the Midlands Youth Apprenticeship Program? SHOW
All applicants must:
- At least be a high school junior
- Be approved by their high school to participate
- Be legally able to work in the United States
- Complete ACCUPLACER test and achieve minimum scores for the program they are seeking
What do I need to know as a prospective student, parent, or guardian? SHOW
The objective of the Midlands Youth Apprenticeship (MYA) program is to connect local high school students with companies interested in creating their next-generation workforce by starting USDOL Registered Apprenticeship Programs.
How does the Midlands Youth Apprenticeship Program connect aspiring apprentices with opportunities? Show
- Aspiring apprentices notify their high school of their interest.
- Aspiring apprentices complete the MYA application and submit to MTC’s admissions office.
- School districts review and forward applications to MTC's admissions office.
- Companies notify MTC Business Solutions office when new apprenticeship opportunities become available.
- MTC advertises opportunities to aspiring apprentices.
- MTC Business Solutions office forwards apprenticeships application and resumes to employer.
- Employer contacts applicants, conducts interviews; and if an offer of employment is made, student begins employment and MTC classes.
- Student graduates with MTC certificate and USDOL Journeyman credential.
What areas are apprenticeship opportunities available in? Show
These are the current pathways available in the MYA Program:
- CNA/Nursing Pathway
- Pharmacy Technician
- Application Programming
- Networking Specialist
Admissions criteria vary for each Midlands Youth Apprenticeship Program track. Please review the entrance criteria and program descriptions/requirements found in this document.
What are my funding and financial aid options? Show
Prospective Businesses and Partners (MYA Program)
With the Baby Boomer population on the verge of retiring, apprenticeships offer companies the opportunity to provide a roadmap to individuals seeking direction, mentoring and the opportunity to be paid to learn a skill that allows them to assist companies in filling critically needed occupations. The internships and other opportunities offered to students through the Midlands Youth Apprenticeship Program can lead to early access and training for future employment.
As the employing organization, there are substantial benefits, opportunities, and responsibilities attached to partnering with the MYA Program as listed in our comprehensive Employer Frequently Asked Questions document.
Get answers to your questions. Click the button to submit your question, and you’ll be personally contacted by MTC with an answer.
MTC Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 2408
Columbia, SC 29202
MTC Business Solutions Office