To apply for financial aid, please complete the following steps. Please note that only admitted students can be awarded financial aid.
1. Complete the FAFSA
Start by filling out a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at the Federal Student Aid website. This online form is the first step to applying for all forms of financial aid, including loans, scholarships, grants, and work study.
Please list MTC's school code on the FAFSA to route your application to us. Our school code for the FAFSA is 003993.
To complete the FAFSA, you will need:
- A High School Diploma or General Educational Development certificate (GED)
- Your Social Security Number or Alien Registration Number, if you are not a U.S. citizen
- Your most recent federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned
- Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
- Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
- A Federal Student Aid FSA ID (may be obtained during FAFSA application process or at the Federal Student Aid Website)
- If you are a dependent student, then you will need most of the above information for your parents.
- You may be able to import your tax information to your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
Get help applying for the FAFSA
The Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) assists students and parents with completing the FAFSA. View upcoming financial aid workshops.
2. Complete the MTC Foundation Scholarships Application
MTC Foundation Scholarships are scholarships just for MTC students. In addition to the FAFSA, you'll need to create a profile and fill out our online application. Scholarships provided through the Midlands Technical College Foundation are awarded on a competitive basis based on financial need, academic excellence, and/or leadership.
3. Supply Additional Documentation
You may be selected for verification, which means we’ll need additional documentation to process your application. We’ll let you know if this applies to you, and tell you exactly what forms you’ll need to submit.
Other Required Documentation:
- Citizenship information
- Selective Service
- Loan Default
- Loan Discharge
- Veteran Status
- Social Security Number/name/Date of Birth discrepancies
- Federal Aid Overpayments
If any of this additional documentation is required, the Office of Student Financial Services will send you a request via email. If you /your family have special circumstances that you believe should be taken into consideration (e.g. an income source is no longer being received, a significant change of income expected, etc.) you should contact a Financial Aid Counselor.
4. Receive Award Notification
Within three weeks, Midlands Technical College will send you an award notification through the US Postal Service that states all the federal, state, and institutional aid you are eligible to receive.
All aid you are eligible for, with the exception of a Federal Work Study award, will then be credited to your student account. If a credit balance occurs after applying tuition, fees, and any other authorized charges, we will issue refunds approximately 30 days after the first day of class. Refunds are processed using BankMobile debit cards. Students should select a refund preference at RefundSelection.com. To view our institution's contract with BankMobile, a Division of Customer Bank, click here.
If your federal and/or state awards are greater than your student account balance, you may be able to charge books at the bookstore against your financial aid. Check your bookstore allowance in your MyMTC account.
5. Pay Your Tuition
If your tuition and fees exceed the financial aid you’ve been awarded, pay your tuition online. Failure to do so may result in your entire schedule being canceled, even if financial aid covered a portion of your balance.
Keeping Your Financial Aid
Students receiving federal or state financial aid must meet certain academic standards and make progress toward the completion of their program to remain eligible for aid.
- Student must maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA
- Student must maintain a 67% pace rate of all attempted courses
- Student must complete their program of study within 150% of the total hours required to complete their program
What can I expect to pay for textbooks?
Full-time students can expect to pay an average of $800 per semester for books and supplies. The cost of textbooks differs based on the student’s coursework each semester.
Educational Opportunity Center
The Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) assists students and parents with completing the FAFSA. Contact them to schedule an appointment at 800-922-8038 or email@example.com.