Upward Bound is one of MTC’s TRIO Programs federally funded by the US Department of Education designed to provide support services to high school students (grades 9 – 12) in order to prepare them to graduate from high school, enroll in college, and graduate from college.
Upward Bound is committed to supporting our participants wherever they are. We are pleased to launch this virtual platform for participants to Connect, Engage, and Communicate with Upward Bound staff. Upward Bound is currently utilizing Zoom, social media pages, YouTube, and Google Classroom to continue to provide services to participants.
MTC Upward Bound now serves all schools located in Lexington and Fairfield counties.
- Must be a potential first-generation, college-bound student
- Meet established income guidelines
- Reside in Fairfield County and Lexington County
- Interest in attending a four-year college
- Enrolled in a rigorous high school curriculum
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Virtual sessions and advising
- Academic instruction held on Saturdays
- Participants are eligible to receive up to a $20.00 stipend
- Four-week residential summer program at USC
- Academic tutoring
- College tours
- Cultural enrichment activities
- Standardized test preparation
- Financial and economic literacy
- Information on financial aid and scholarships
- Submit an MTC Upward Bound application. Download a print application below or request one from the Guidance Department at a target high school.
- Once the completed application is received, your application will be reviewed for completion, eligibility and program fit. Selected applicants and their parent(s)/guardian(s) will be invited for an on-campus interview or virtual interview via Zoom.
- After the interview process, selected students will be invited to participate in the MTC Upward Bound Program.
- Selected participants will receive a New Student Packet and invited to attend an orientation.
- Participant Profile Form
- Participant Code of Conduct for Online Learning and Safety
- Participant and Parent/Guardian Contact Form
- Parent/Guardian Online Programming Form
Upward Bound Components
During the school year, Upward Bound provides instruction in math, science, English, foreign language, and personal enrichment courses on Saturdays. These courses assist Upward Bound participants through tutoring and additional lessons. Upward Bound participants also have the opportunity to attend SAT/ACT workshops, financial aid workshops, career planning workshops, cultural events, and college tours.
During the summer, Upward Bound students participate in a four-week residential program. Upward Bound participants live in residential halls at the University of South Carolina and enroll in high school courses and electives taught at MTC by high school and college instructors. Upward Bound participants have the opportunity to get a head start in their academics over the summer and also participate in job shadowing and career mentoring. The summer component gives students a first-hand experience of college life.
This component provides an opportunity for recent Upward Bound high school graduates to enroll in a college credit course the summer before they attend the college of their choice. While participating in the Upward Bound bridge component, students receive college credit, participate in community services, work-study positions, and prepare for the transition to college.