Call Me MISTER
Less than two percent of the nation’s public school teachers are African American males. Students need teachers, mentors, and role models that reflect both sexes and all races. Young African American boys are in their earliest stages of development during their elementary school years making the need for positive role models at that time vital.
The Call Me MISTER project seeks to recruit, train, and assist in the certification of African American males who are interested in becoming elementary school teachers in South Carolina’s public schools. Upon completion of the MTC Call Me MISTER program and/or prerequisite requirements, students may transfer to a four-year institution’s Call Me MISTER program to complete a bachelor’s degree in elementary education.
- A high school diploma or General Equivalence Diploma (GED)
- African American male
- Two letters of recommendation
- One from an education, teacher, counselor or principal
- One from a person of the student’s choice
- One page essay entitled “Why I Want to Teach”
- Enrolled in MTC’s Associate in Arts Degree Program and be eligible for enrollment in English 101 and Math 101 courses
- Academic coaching
- Mentor teachers
- Personal assistance in earning teaching credentials
- Scholarship awarded during student’s first year with second year renewal if the student receives a 2.5 GPA or higher
- Students who continue their education by transferring to a four-year institution will receive financial assistance
I am a young, strong African American male, dedicated to perpetuating sorely needed concept men as role models in elementary schools. I am devoted to planting seeds of dignity and respect in children and inspiring them to cultivate those seeds, producing a crop of unprecedented success. I will teach reading, writing, arithmetic, and progress to self-esteem, imagination, and determination. Because of my immeasurable promise, not only have I earned your respect, I demand it! A title is only important if one’s character and integrity dictate its use. When you address me, please verbalize my destiny…please do not call me by my first name…call me in reference to my great vision. Call Me MISTER.
In addition to applying to MTC, interested students should submit the Call Me MISTER application by July 1 along with their essay and two letters of recommendation.
College of Charleston
Coastal Carolina University
Greenville Technical College
Midlands Technical College
South Carolina State University
Tri-County Technical College
Trident Technical College
University of South Carolina - Beaufort
Midlands Technical College
Mr. Paul Livingston
P.O. Box 2408
Columbia, SC 29202
99% of employers would recommend MTC graduates to other employers.