Real Preparation: MTC students surpass national averages and top certification exam pass rates
In 2018, Midlands Technical College (MTC) awarded more than 2,200 degrees, diplomas, and certificates. Many of these graduates earned high scores on their licensing exams, propelling them ahead of national pass rates, which is a testament to the academic merit and exceptional faculty in the MTC programs of study.
“Our programs strive not just to teach students the skills they need to be successful in their careers, but also to prepare them effectively for the path that lies ahead in their particular fields,” said MTC President Dr. Ronald L. Rhames. “I commend the faculty and staff who helped lead these students to perform so well on these tests. This proves that MTC students aren’t just excelling academically, they’ll be some of the most skilled workers among their colleagues in their professions.”
Of the programs whose professions require licensure exams, the following were pleased to report these statistics:
- Accounting students had a 100% pass rate on the Sage Certified User test. They also had high pass rates in the MOS Excel 2016 test and the QuickBooks Certified User test.
- 100% of the Dental Hygiene program graduates passed their Dental Hygiene National Board Exams and clinical boards. The 51-year-old program is the oldest in the state.
- 100% of the past Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) class have passed the board exam and are licensed PTAs. The National Board exam pass rate for the MTC Physical Therapist Assistant program has been 100% for the past three years. The national average pass rate is approximately 85%.
- 100% of MTC Medical Assisting graduates passed the Medical Assisting Certification Exam. The national pass rate is 64%. The average MTC score was 652, and the national average score is 477. Nationally, MTC students performed better than 81% of first-time test takers.
- 100% of the Radiologic Technology graduates completed the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) exam and have a 100% pass rate.
- Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT) graduates have completed the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Board of Certification with a pass rate of 100%. This is the 10th year in a row that MLT has had a 100% pass rate on the ASCP Board of Certification.
- Health Information Management students who completed the Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) certification exam have a 100% pass rate.
“We are thrilled for these students and for the employers who will reap the benefits of these prepared graduates,” said Sandra Hackley, Associate Vice President of Career Programs. “Our faculty help guide students on the right path to ensure they get the education and training needed to be successful once leaving MTC.”
For more information on academic and career programs at MTC, click here.