Curriculum Progression and Completion
To progress in and complete the medical sonography program, a student must adhere to the following strict requirements:
- Earn a grade of 'C' or better on all courses
- A grade lower than 'C' will result in dismissal from the program
- Students will not be allowed to re-take any classes.
- Follow all program policies and procedures. More than two counseling sessions due to violating established policies and procedures can result in dismissal due to the lack of discretion and judgment on the studentâ€™s part.
- Consistently demonstrate a positive attitude and teamwork approach in class and clinical assignments.
- Negative attitudes and affective behaviors will not be tolerated. After the second counseling session for problems in affective behaviors the student will be dismissed for a lack of professionalism.
Didactic and Clinical Requirements
The ARDMS requires a minimum of 1680 hours of didactic/clinical practice before a graduate is eligible to sit for the ARDMS certifying examination. During the last semester clinical practice rotations may involve "on-call" situations with a qualified sonographer. Clinical schedules will be distributed in advance to students.
There is no financial remuneration for clinical practice time. All absences must be made up before the beginning of the next semester. Failure to complete clinical hours will constitute a failure in the clinical portion and dismissal from the clinical practicum.
Technical Standards for Acceptance
To participate in the clinical education portion of the program, the applicant must possess additional non-academic skills. These technical standards are consistent with the duties of the entry-level sonographer in a professional position. The applicant must demonstrate the ability to:
- Lift and transfer patients as necessary
- Move, adjust, manipulate equipment to perform imaging procedures
- Review and evaluate recorded images to determine quality of image
- Communicate orally and in writing with patients, doctors and other personnel, and the ability to follow written and verbal directions
- Make proper decisions involving patient and co-worker safety.
Sample Clinical/Class Schedule
To satisfy the requirements of the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers the student's class/clinical schedule must be a minimum of 48 weeks in length and consist of at least 1680 combined hours of instruction and clinical activities.
Sample of Weekly Schedule:
The following is an example of a DMS semester schedule:
|Monday||Clinic||8:00 - 5:00 p.m.|
|Tuesday||Clinic||8:00 - 5:00 p.m.|
|Wednesday||Class||4:00 - 8:00 p.m.|
|Thursday||Class||4:00 - 8:00 p.m.|
|Friday||Clinic||8:00 - 5:00 p.m.|
More than 3/4 of MTC faculty hold a master's or doctorate degree in their teaching field.