MTC Coronavirus Update and Response
[March 27-29, 2020]
Dear MTC family,
As our first week of alternative instruction comes to an end, I want to thank each of you – students, faculty, and staff for your resilience to press on. It takes a lot of courage to face these sorts of challenges, and I’m proud of the hard work this week. Remember, if you have a need, we are here to help.
As you study, complete homework, and prepare lessons and student supports this weekend, please remember to make time for personal care. We all need to get some rest. It’s essential for our physical and emotional wellbeing.
The weather will feel like Spring this weekend. I hope it brings you a little joy during this turbulent time.
President Ron Rhames
If you have questions, contact us the way that is most comfortable for you.
- Dial 803.738. 8324 and leave a message. Calls will be returned within 24 hours.
- If you prefer to text, that number is 803.738.1400.
- Online chat with a college representative is also available on www.midlandstech.edu.
- Or, you can email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Information Resource Management Help Desk: 803.738.7888 or email@example.com.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW PREVIOUS COLLEGE UPDATES (FEB - MARCH)
What is the Coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Coronavirus is a respiratory illness caused by a novel virus that has been spreading worldwide. Community-acquired cases have now been confirmed in South Carolina. It has the potential to cause severe illness and pneumonia. The virus has been named “SARS-CoV-2,” and the disease it causes has been named “coronavirus disease 2019” (abbreviated “COVID-19”).
COVID-19 is currently being spread from person to person, but can also come from touching an object or surface with the virus on it.
These basic precautions can prevent the spread of the virus:
- Wash your hands often.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid contact with sick people.
- Stay home while you are sick; avoid others.
- Cover mouth/nose with a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
If you are currently experiencing symptoms of a respiratory virus like coughing, fever, or shortness of breath, please call your personal doctor or health care provider. If needed, you can also take a free health screening by clicking here and using the promo code “COVID-19.”
Should I stay at home?
All MTC students, faculty, and staff who are experiencing symptoms are encouraged to remain home and seek professional health care. DHEC recommends everyone prepare and monitor for absenteeism.
For students, staff, or faculty who plan to travel, or have recently traveled, please refer to the CDC’s FAQ for travelers to ensure your health and safety upon returning home to work and school.
Students Coronavirus Contact Line - 803.732.5201
Employee Coronavirus Contact Line - 803.822.3500
- All MTC campuses are closed to the public until May 1.
- The City of Columbia shelter in place order will not affect alternative instruction being delivered by MTC.