Dec 17, 2021 - Jan 04, 2022
Starting in December, current MTC students and students from other colleges can complete a full course over the holiday break. Wintermester classes will be 100% online with due dates for projects and assignments. Work is self-paced, on your own time.
- Done in less than 3 weeks
- Starts Friday, December 17 and ends Tuesday, January 4
Note: If you are a first-time student, you should complete online orientation before you meet with an Academic and Career Advisor!
Transient Students – If you are a student at another institution who wishes to take a Wintermester course at MTC, and you have not attended MTC in the past three semesters, you need to apply to the college. Then, you'll work one-on-one with our admissions team on getting enrolled in the class you need.
Still have questions? Check out the Wintermester FAQ
- What is Wintermester?
Wintermester is an abbreviated term that rests between the close of the fall semester and the start of the spring semester. Wintermester is a great opportunity for students who have completed at least one term at MTC to catch up or to build momentum toward degree completion. Wintermester is also a great opportunity for transient students from other colleges/universities.
- What are the important dates for Wintermester?
- Monday, December 14 – Students enrolled in a Wintermester course begin receiving access to the course in D2L
- Friday, December 17 – Wintermester classes begin
- Friday, December 18 – End of add/drop (schedule change) period for Wintermester
- Monday, December 27 – Wintermester midterm
- Tuesday, January 4 – Last day of Wintermester classes
- Tuesday, January 4 – Last day to withdraw from a Wintermester class (with a “W”)
- Wednesday, January 5 – Final exams for Wintermester classes
- Friday, January 7 – Wintermester grades due by 3 p.m.
- How are courses being offered in Wintermester?
All classes are 100% online (asynchronous).
- What is the time commitment for Wintermester courses?
Wintermester courses pack a three- or four-credit-hour course into a little over two weeks, so the time commitment is significant.
- What courses are being offered in Wintermester?
See a list of courses below. You can also search for Wintermester courses here:
ACC 111 – Accounting Concepts
ACC 150 –
AST 101 – Solar System Astronomy
BAF 101 – Personal Finance
BUS 121 –
BUS 130 –
COL 101 –
CPT 101 – Introduction to Computers
CPT 170 – Microcomputer Applications
CRJ 115 –
CRJ 220 –
ECD 105 –
ENG 102 –
HIS 102 – Western Civilization Post 1689
HIS 202 – American History: 1877 to Present
MAT 130 – Elementary Calculus
MKT 101 – Marketing
MUS 105 – Music Appreciation
PSY 201 – General Psychology
PSY 203 – Human Growth and Development
RDG 100 –
SOC 101 – Introduction to Sociology
- Is a Wintermester course right for me?
Wintermester is for students who:
- Are confident they can succeed in a fast-paced course (this is a 14-week course condensed to 2.5 weeks).
- Know they can dedicate the time over the winter holidays to the course.
- Have completed at least one term at MTC or are transient students from another institution.
- Are looking to catch up / build momentum in their degree plan.
- Seek to achieve a critical pre-requisite so they can remain on track for financial aid or for their spring plan.
Each student can only take one Wintermester course per term. Talk to your Academic and Career advisor to see if Wintermester is a good fit for you. You can also search for Wintermester courses here to view course descriptions for each available class.
- Must a student have completed the Virtual Backpack to enroll in a Wintermester course?
Yes. Wintermester courses are “I” sections, so unless a student has already completed it, they must complete the Virtual Backpack to enroll.
- When are tuition and fees due for Wintermester courses?
Wintermester is classified as a part of the spring term. Wintermester tuition and fees are due the same day as spring tuition/fees – Friday, December 17 by 1 p.m.
- How is financial aid handled for Wintermester courses?
Wintermester is part of the spring award package. Be sure to connect with Student Financial Services regarding your unique financial aid package.
- What is the late registration period for Wintermester courses?
The late registration fee is active as soon as the fee payment deadline concludes. The last day to add a Wintermester class, and the last day to drop without a “W,” is Friday, December 17.
- What is the last day a student can withdraw and receive a refund?
Friday, December 17, 2021.
- Will college supports be available during Wintermester?
Yes. View academic and student support services for Wintermester students.