Surgical Technology - **Please note that operating
rooms do not necessarily have a latex free environment**
Beyond the general admission requirements to Midlands Technical College (see MTC Handbook), the college's placement tests and admissions' requirements for the Health Sciences department (See MTC Handbook), specific admission criteria to the Surgical Technology program include:
- Acceptable interview eligibility:
- HOBET V (May 2012 - present); 52% total (reading 63%, math 57%, science 39%)
and MTC writing sample score of 30; or
- HOBET (May 2009-May 2012); 46 composite percent (minimum reading 46 percent) and MTC writing sample score of 30;
- SAT 840 (minimum verbal 430); and MTC writing sample score of 30; or
- ACT 18 (minimum verbal 17) and MTC writing sample of score of 30; or
- Successful completion of the Pre-Health Care certificate with a 2.5
GPA and “C” or higher in each course; or
- Associate degree or higher.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- High school or college credits in mathematics and science are
- Interview by the Surgical Technology Admission Committee
- Must be 17 years of age by date of program entry
- Certification in Basic First-aid, Adult, infant, child BLS and CPR
- Acceptable criminal background check and drug screening results
Special Program Requirements
Students are required to purchase and maintain blue scrub suits, white shoes, white hose, a name pin, protective eye wear at an approximate cost of $180.
Students must attain a grade of "C" or better in all required curriculum courses to complete the program successfully. All courses in the curriculum may be repeated no more than once to obtain a
grade of "C" or better. No more than two curriculum courses may be repeated. All Surgical Technology courses must be taken in the appropriate sequence.
- Students must have an acceptable criminal background check and drug test.
- A complete physical to include the Hepatitus B vaccine.
- Certification in Basic First Aid, Adult, Child and Infant BLS, and CPR.
- Must become a member of the Association of Surgical Technologists.
- Purchase and take the National Certification Exam.