How to Succeed in Math
Studying for Tests
Tips for Success in Math
Remember that college math covers material at about twice the pace that a high school math course does.
- If it has been a few years since you have studied math, review it now. Get a textbook and brush up on some of those basic skills.
- Attend class everyday and take complete notes.
- Form a study group and meet regularly.
- Ask questions in class. If you missed something, ask about it- you are probably not the only student with this question.
- Get enough sleep before a test. A careless mistake can cost you the whole problem.
- Seek tutoring through the Academic Success Center. Donít just ask questions but have the tutor critique your attempts to work out math problems.
- Math is learned by doing problems- do the homework.
- As you do homework, make lists of formulas and techniques to use later when you study for tests.
Taking a Math Test
- Look over the entire test- identify the problems you know and do those right away
- Outline the steps to a problem before beginning work on a problem
- If you get stuck on a problem, move on
- Show all of your work- even if your answer is incorrect, you may get partial credit
- Donít waste time erasing, just draw a line through the work you want ignored
- If you finish early, recheck your problems
* Clicking on a link noted with an asterisk (*) leaves this web site. Use your browsers back button to return to this site.