How to Succeed in Math
Studying for Tests
- Prepare for short answer tests by using flash cards with definitions of key terms and phrases
- Respond with simple, concise sentences
- Make an educated guess if you donít know the answer
Spot Key Words
Many times in a short answer question, you will be asked to analyze, compare or summarize - here are a few brief definitions of some key terms you may come across on your next test:
- Analyze: Break into different parts, examine, discuss, or interpret.
- Compare: Identify how two or more things are similar, and how they are different.
- Contrast: Compare with more emphasis upon finding differences than similarities.
- Criticize: Identify positive and negative points with scrutiny.
- Define: As related to the course, explain the meaning. Be specific.
- Describe: Present the pros and cons- compare and contrast.
- Evaluate: Using your opinions, and what you have read, state your opinion and give evidence to support your ideas.
- Interpret: Present in terms that are understandable, using examples and descriptions.
- Outline: Give an overview, by describing main ideas and events.
- Prove: Support your ideas with hard facts.
- Summarize: Condense into a brief overview.
* Clicking on a link noted with an asterisk (*) leaves this web site. Use your browsers back button to return to this site.