Upward Bound is one of MTC’s TRIO Programs federally funded by the US Department of Education designed to provide support services to high school students (grades 9 – 12) in order to prepare them to graduate from high school, enroll in college, and graduate from college.
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must be a potential first generation college bound student
- Meet established income guidelines
- Attend an Upward Bound target high school
- Willing to participate in academic and summer components
- Interest in attending a four-year college
- Enrolled in a rigorous high school curriculum
- Additional academic instruction held on Saturdays
- Participants are eligible to receive $15.00 stipends
- Four week residential summer program at USC/MTC
- Academic Tutoring
- College tours
- Cultural enrichment activities
- Financial and economic literacy
- Information on financial aid and scholarships
Students interested in applying should contact their high school guidance office during the school year or the MTC Upward Bound office at 803.822.3384. Students in grades 9-11th may submit program applications throughout the school year.
|Airport High School||Swansea High School|
|Batesburg-Leesville High School||Swansea High School Freshman Academy|
|Fairfield Central High School||White Knoll High School|
|Pelion High School|
Upward Bound Components
During the school year, Upward Bound provides instruction in math, science, english, foreign language, and personal enrichment courses on Saturdays. These courses assist Upward Bound participants through tutoring and additional lessons. Upward Bound participants also have the opportunity to attend SAT/ACT workshops, financial aid workshops, career planning workshops, cultural events, and college tours.
During the summer, Upward Bound students participate in a four-week residential program. Upward Bound participants live in residential halls at the University of South Carolina and enroll in high school courses and electives taught at MTC by high school and college instructors. Upward Bound participants have the opportunity to get a head start in their academics over the summer and also participate in job shadowing and career mentoring. The summer component gives students a first-hand experience of college life.
This component provides an opportunity for recent Upward Bound high school graduates to enroll in a college credit course the summer before they attend the college of their choice. While participating in the Upward Bound bridge component, students receive college credit, participate in community services, work-study position and prepare for transition to college.
Lexington Hall, Room 166
|Sinitra Johnson||Project Directoremail@example.com|
|Tanya Martin||Academic Counselorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Jami Lynn Harrington||Program Assistantemail@example.com|