Orientation is required for all first time students entering Midlands Technical College (MTC). It promotes your personal academic success and development. Informative presentations are designed to help you be informed and prepared.
Orientation is for guests, too! We offer special sessions to help answer questions and concerns from a family member/guest's point of view.
If you are a readmit student, already have a degree, or have college credits from another institution, you are not required to attend orientation. (You may contact MTC Student Information for advising and registration information at 803-738-8324.)
No. The content of orientation is the same regardless of the campus or session you choose. Due to limited space, most orientation sessions are offered at our Airport Campus.
After you have completed placement testing, received your acceptance letter, and completed the Pre-Advisement Module, you can sign up at www.midlandstech.edu/new.
Orientation sign up is done on a first-response basis. We encourage you to sign up early. You can sign up by clicking here. Please note that you have to be admitted to the college, completed the Pre-Advisement Module to attend, and have your student ID number.
Due to limited space, it is necessary to limit the number of guests allowed to one guest per student. As there may be times when the student and guest are in different locations, it is necessary that the guest be 18 years of age or older.
Orientation is open to all first-time-college students. Students can choose from the sessions that are noted as Open Session.
Advance registration is REQUIRED to attend. Registration for orientation will open September 12, 2012. Walk-ins are not accepted.
- Check In: Check-in will occur 15 minutes before the start time at the Academic Center Auditorium Room 116 on the Airport Campus. Since program information is done last, you should not plan on leaving early. Orientation is 2 ½ - 3 hours from check-in to departure. If you leave early, you will be required to return to campus at a later date (to complete the advisement session).
- What to Bring: A picture ID, pen/pencil, and notebook/paper.
- Placement Exams: PRIOR to Orientation, placement testing must be completed at least two weeks ahead of your orientation. Your courses will be based on the test results and will be reviewed at orientation. Students who have taken two years of Spanish or French in high school or have studied a foreign language in the past five years are required to take the Foreign Language placement exam PRIOR to Orientation. See Student Assessment www.midlandstech.edu/edu/sds/sac/compass.html.
- Pre-Advisement Module: To prepare for your academic advisement, you must complete the Pre-Advisement Module. This will help you get a head start on the advising process by reviewing your MyMTC account and general policies at MTC.
- Guest/Parent Orientation: A guest/parent is offered while the student advising session is conducted; we encourage you to bring one of your parents as a guest to help answer their questions and concerns from the parent's point of view. Parents and guardians of incoming freshmen will have the opportunity to meet with students and members of the faculty and staff plus receive information on advisement. This program is not recommended for young children. Parents and guardians will learn more about FAFSA processing, FERPA, and other relevant topics designed to help provide support to their student.
- Sign-Up: Beginning September 12, 2012. You must pre-register to attend orientation. To ensure proper placement and advising, students may only attend sessions for which their major is scheduled. Guests may not attend the student session.
- Confirmation: You will receive a confirmation once you sign-up. This confirmation serves as your reservation. Your place at orientation is guaranteed when you complete this sign-up. Please check carefully to verify your session and the date.
There are eight categories of study:
- Engineering Technology
- Health Sciences/Pre-Health Care
- Arts and Science: College Transfer
- Public Service
- Information Systems Technology
- Industrial Technology
For additional majors/programs under these categories click here.
Please print a copy for your records. Confirmation is sent to the email that you provided.
No matter which Orientation you attend you will have opportunities to meet with faculty, staff, and college officials plus talk with current MTC students. You will learn information on services and resources plus meet with an Advisor. Visit the Dates of Orientation page to learn more details about your specific orientation.
When you come to orientation, don't forget to bring these items with you:
- Your 7-digit MTC ID number. Your ID number can be found on your MTC acceptance letter or you can log in under your MyMTC account and go under Account Information. If you have issues logging into your MyMTC account or MyMTC email, contact Online Services at 803-822-3316 or 803-738-7192.
- Your Picture ID: Bring your ID (driver's license, permit, etc.).