ASSIST Program at Midlands Technical College
The purpose of the ASSIST program is to support participating MTC students in the acquisition of education and workforce readiness skills that qualify them for long-term sustained employment in the manufacturing, engineering or maintenance technology career fields.
How do Students Qualify to Participate in ASSIST?
- Participants must be admitted to or currently enrolled in an
eligible academic program at Midlands Technical College.
- Participants must be committed to successfully completing their educational training and obtaining a certificate, diploma or associate degree.
- Applicants must be official residents of Richland, Lexington or Fairfield counties of South Carolina.
In addition to the above, applicants must meet
at least one of the following criteria to be eligible:
- Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) – Individuals who became unemployed due to the impact of foreign trade. The TAA applicant status should be confirmed with the Trade Field Operations office at South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce (SCDEW) as special benefits may accrue.
- Veteran– Individuals who have served in the United States Armed Services and have been honorably discharged from military service. Additionally, spouses of active duty military personnel are eligible.
- Unemployed – Individuals who are without a job and who want and are available to work. Note: This excludes TAA individuals.
- Dislocated Worker – Individuals who have been terminated or laid-off or have received a notice or termination or lay-off from employment; or were self-employed but are now unemployed.
- Incumbent Worker- Individuals who are incumbent workers need training to secure full-time employment, advance in their careers or retain their current occupations. This includes low-wage workers, workers who need to upgrade their skills to retain employment and workers who are currently working part-time.
- Underemployed – Individuals who are employed but current job requirements are below skill set of individual.
Interested in participating in the ASSIST Program or have questions about the eligibility requirements? Contact the ASSIST Recruiter at 803-822-7082 or
Midlands Technical College does not discriminate in admissions or employment on the basis of race, sex, national origin or ethnic group, color, age, religion, disability, genetic information, military service, or pregnancy. The compliance officer for Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity and Disability Action can be reached at (803) 822-3261. For information about MTC graduation rate, the median debt of students who completed their programs, and other information, please visit our website at
ASSIST is an equal opportunity program. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.