Midlands Technical College
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 2408
Columbia, SC 29202
Thank you for your interest in Midlands Technical College! We have a growing international population here at MTC, and we would love to welcome you! We are committed to working with you to ensure your smooth transition to the College and local area. In addition to meeting the regular college and program admission requirements, international applicants must also meet additional requirements if a United States Citizenship and Immigration Service form I-20 is required. Please carefully review these additional requirements below to qualify for enrollment:
- Apply for Admission.
- Be 18 years old or present evidence of successful completion of a secondary level program. This evidence must be in the form of a transcript or other traditional document from the institution. The document(s) must be accompanied by a certified English translation, if not in English.
- Present an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report showing a minimum score of 500 on the paper version, 173 on the computerized version, or 61 on the internet version of the test. More information about the TOEFL is available at www.toefl.org. Our school’s code is 5584.
- To have coursework taken at foreign universities considered for transfer credit an external evaluation must be obtained. We recommend WES (World Education Services, Inc.), but any evaluator certified by the NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) is acceptable. The International Student Coordinator can supply you with forms from WES, or you can visit their website at www.wes.org.
- Complete the Affidavit of Support and present official documentation of financial support in the amount of $23,738.
- If you are transferring from another US college or university, present a satisfactory Status Verification Form from the International Student Advisor at your school. Submit a copy of your I-20.
- After completing the above steps, you will be notified of acceptance or denial. If accepted, you will need to deposit two semesters' advance tuition at the out of state rate into an account set up for you at MTC.
- After receiving the I-20, the student will need to pay the $200 SEVIS fee directly to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. A student who has paid the fee once will not need to pay it again. Go to www.fmjfee.com to pay the fee. Be sure to print a receipt!
- Once you arrive on campus, you will be directed to take the MTC Placement Test.
- After taking the test, you will meet with the International Student Coordinator for orientation and to schedule an academic advisement appointment.
For Guaranteed Processing
Students applying for Fall semester must submit all appropriate documentation and deposit by June 1
Students applying for Spring semester must submit all appropriate documentation and deposit by November 1
Initial F1 visa students are not admitted for Summer semester
Once enrolled, international students in visa category F-1 must consult the international admissions coordinator before dropping any classes.